Greetings from Cougar Town
Since the very first episode, I have wanted to move to the Cougar Town cul-de-sac and become BFF’s with Jules, Ellie, Laurie, Stan, Bobby, Grayson, Travis and creepy neighbor, Tom. Not kidding, the thought runs through my head every single episode. Holy grilled cheese sammies…over the weekend I got the chance! #Truth.
Thanks to co-creator, Bill Lawrence (who is pretty much made of awesomeness,) Cougar Town pulled out all the stops and put together an intimate (and brilliant,) promotional event that was an absolute BLAST. The writers, producers and entire cast: Courteney Cox, Christa Miller, Busy Philipps, Ian Gomez, Brian Van Holt, Josh Hopkins, Dan Byrd and Bob Clendenin, were in attendance for a super casual, low-key night mingling with everyone right on the set.
The spirits flowed freely as guests enjoyed pizza, threw down on Penny Can tournys with the cast and crew, received a set tour, and sat in on the first few episodes of Season 3 (yup, yours truly knows all the deets and spoilers,) while enjoying a Q & A with the cast. We were treated to souvenir Cougar Town Tour t-shirts, while some lucky attendees even scored Official Penny Cans and DVDs. Well I may not have gotten any autographs because I forgot a pen (sniff,) but I did meet everyone and snapped some great photos, so all is good in my tribe.
“Tell your friends that Cougar Town is not about older women ‘shtooping’ young guys…” – Bill Lawrence *
People, the show is NOT about Orange County-ish cougars! I swear. Try it, you’ll like it. C’mon…dooooo it.
It’s not. It’s a flippin’ hysterical show about a group of friends who make you pee your pants, laugh out loud while drinking lots (and I mean a WHOLE LOTTA,) wine. This cast tips back the sauce big time and I found that tidbit out straight from Courteney Cox herself…that’s not prop grape juice. They consume 100% pure vino. Now *this* is every mommy’s dream job.
And for those interested, the anti-oxidents in the wine are working full-force because I’m here to tell you first hand that every single member of the cast and crew looks pretty much flawless. Everyone. Actresses, actors, producers, writers, EVERYONE. It is reason enough for me to apply for a job sharpening their pencils or gathering the pennies that miss the can with hopes that it will rub off and I look a few years younger.
One thing is for sure, the cast really are buddies and a big family. To see that these actors didn’t have the “movie star ‘tude” made me love the show even more if that is possible. And for those wondering, I can tell you each actor’s personality/mannerisms are extremely similar to the characters they portray. It was zany and a lot of fun to see.
It was the perfect LA event. And CT has 30 of these parties planned across the U.S.! Lawrence has embraced social media and will announce the next phase of parties via his Facebook and Twitter accounts. No stranger to brilliant marketing, in the past, Cougar Town, set-up a designated phone number incorporated into an episode where the viewers could call up the infomercial and order their very own Penny Can in real life only to have one of the show’s stars be on the other end of the line answering the phone! Now if only we could get Cougar Town on Instagram stat. That would be very fun to follow.
What Else Makes Cougar Town So Flippin’ Awesome?!
- They constantly mock their own show title.
- The music. Christa Miller is the show’s Music Supervisor and has impeccable taste in her selections.
- General consensus from the cast is how much they love Season 3 the most. Especially, the episode which Courteney Cox directs her first CT episode.
- The writers are some of the most talented and genuinely nice people you could ask to be around. Plus, they are FUN! The writer’s room has everything from a balloon pump and a (cough)
retro couch, to a wine fridge and episode notes meticulously written with Sharpies on the walls.
- Brian Van Holt is a super cool guy. Not only will he split your side from laughing so hard, but he has a great episode coming up with Scrubs alum, Sarah Chalke and another which he personally enjoyed because he got to surf.
- The “Thanksgiving” episode.
- The stuff that comes out of Busy Philipps character is priceless. Pure gold. And did we mention her outfits? She rocks the party that rocks the body.
- Their spoofs on movies are hysterical. Ian Gomez KILLS it in his version of Shawshank Redemption.
- Bill Lawrence didn’t like Dan Byrd’s hair last season, and Dan wouldn’t cut it, so they are actually making him wear a helmet for a whole episode referring to him as Dork Vader.
- Josh Hopkins is one of those people that just makes you feel good when you are around them. His smile is infectious, his songs make you laugh and he even snapped a photo with my friend as a favor so she can send it back to her mother in NJ saying they are engaged after he was her waiter at The Cheesecake Factory. His response? “I LOVE CHEESECAKE!!!”
- Coffee Buck!!! If you don’t know what I’m talking about, just unfriend/unfollow me and then click here.
- Many story lines are taken from real life. The episode my girlfriend and I fondly refer to as “The Chalk Kids,” actually happened to one of the writers while living in Manhattan Beach.
- Jules’s wine glass is renamed and reintroduced every season. First there was Big Joe, then Big Carl, and Season 3…Big Lou.
- It’s so good it needs to be mentioned twice: SHAWSHANK
- Lastly, but most importantly, my husband loves it! Pretty much unless someone is getting a beat down, has a tattooed face or scoring a goal, the hubs can’t be bothered. But this gem of a show has hot women and a team of guys that make him laugh with a sarcastic undertone so he is ALL-IN.
People either love and rave about CT or their response is they’ve never caught an episode. So do yourself a favor if you fall into group #2, carve out some “me time,” set your DVR, pour some of the Jesus juice and just laugh. I promise you, you will really enjoy that half hour. Bottom line. I love Cougar Town. 39458304958304958 x’s more now. So if you’ve ever wanted to do something nice for me, owe me a favor or want/need a favor from me, tune in to the new season of Cougar Town starting in March on ABC because it will automatically make you more attractive, funnier, and just plain cool. The end.
*To make it past the powers that be, I changed Bill’s actual choice f*bomb to shtooping.