In-Flight | What to Pack?
Welcome to #TravelTuesday Remix! In anticipation of the holiday travel season, The Trend Tribe wants to remind our friends what to pack in your carry-on bag to keep you company in-flight this Christmas season!
Wishing our fellow travelers a very happy and safe journey,
When you think about packing for a trip isn’t it always the clothing, accessories, cosmetics and shoes you think of first? Clearly these are the vital things, particularly for us women. However I’ve found it is equally as important to make sure you have your carry-on equipped with necessities for the duration of the flight whether it is four, eight, ten or twenty plus hours. There is nothing worse than being uncomfortable and bored to tears on a flight with ten hours to go. I’ve been there, done that and have vowed not to experience it again. When you are accustomed to double-digit flying times you start to figure out what those must-haves are for you. Here’s a peek at mine.
What to Pack?
My top 10 essentials for a long flight:
- Gossip magazines. Gasp, shock, horror! Yes I’m guilty of purchasing US Weekly, OK, In Touch, People or anything similar as I’m dashing through the airport. These are perfect for mindless entertainment reading about the latest happenings in the celebrity world. Go ahead and judge me, it won’t stop me! A few of these juicy reads add up to at least an hour of passing time on the flight.
- Mindfood magazine. This is my absolute favorite. I discovered it while living in Sydney. It’s the perfect combination of stimulating content covering things like environment, culture, food, women’s topics, travel, health, beauty and more. I like the variety. Most importantly, reading Mindfood after my gossip magazines reminds me I actually do have a brain.
- Good book. Whatever I’m reading at the time comes along with me or I choose from one of the many I’ve downloaded on my iPad. Sometimes it’s a mind-stimulating read and other times it’s just a good story to lose myself in. Mood dictates all.
- Entertaining flicks. Some airlines will have a good selection of movies, TV shows and documentaries but it doesn’t hurt to download some of your own just in case. This can be an ideal time to enjoy that movie or show nobody else in your house wants to watch with you. On my last couple of flights to the US I watched Jane Eyre, A Christmas Story, caught up on “The Good Wife” episodes and watched the first season of “The Big C” all on my iPad.
- Grooving tunes. I think we can all agree it’s much better to listen to your music than the person snoring to your right or the adorable but screaming baby two seats forward. Good headphones are a must also. Noise cancelling is a preferred choice.
- Cosmetic bag. Mine is packed to the brim with moisturizing lotions and potions, face wash, toothbrush, toothpaste, make-up remover and more. Some of my favorites: Vitamin C face spray from The Body Shop, L’Occitane hand lotion and ASAP eye cream. I’ve been known to slap on a collagen face mask at the end of the flight to feel refreshed. Yes, this hot look may attract some stares but trust me it’s worth it.
- Vitamins and pills. All legal of course! Anyone who knows me knows I am a big vitamin and supplement gal. They travel with me wherever I go along with painkillers and something to help me sleep if needed. Sometimes I’m surprised I haven’t been stopped through security for the big bag of vitamins stuffed in my handbag.
- Cozy socks. Most international airlines provide you with socks or slippers these days but I like to double up with my own cozy socks and their slippers over them. I don’t know about anyone else but my feetsies are always freezing on long flights. This also keeps your own socks clean while you are doing your stretches around the cabin or running to the ladies room to apply your moisturizer.
- Earplugs. These are probably the most important things for me to bring on any flight when I need to sleep. Of all the things stuffed in my hand luggage it would be most disastrous if I forgot my awesome earplugs. I recommend Mack’s earplugs. They are by far the best and much better than the ones they give you on the plane. Good earplugs paired with an eye mask means optimal sleep.
- My iPad. I don’t leave home without it! It is so much more convenient than lugging out your laptop on the plane. You can do so much on these great gadgets. Read, write, watch movies, listen to music, play games, the list goes on.
What are your top 10 flight essentials? What are your absolute favorites you can’t board the flight without? I’d love to hear them!
Disclosure: On occasion, contributors of The Trend Tribe receive products and services gratis or at discounted rates. This practice does not influence the contributor’s point of view or the outcome of the review. All descriptions are factual and accurately reflect the reviewers experience. The opinions are their own. Photo credits: Katy Paterson